Fair Housing Program Manager
The Equal Rights Center (ERC) is a national non-profit civil rights organization based in Washington, D.C. With more than 7,000 members located in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. The ERC works nationally to advance civil rights by promoting equal opportunity in housing, employment, and access to public accommodations and government services. With more than 30-years of expertise, the ERC is one of the nation’s premier fair housing organizations, using education and outreach, partnerships and training, counseling and advocacy, investigation and testing, and enforcement to promote equal housing opportunity.
The ERC is looking for a dynamic and energized professional with a passion for civil rights to serve as its Fair Housing Program Manager (FHPM). The FHPM reports to the Executive Director (ED) and the Deputy Director (DD), and is responsible for oversight of all Fair Housing Program staff and activities, as well as coordinating in a wide range of activities involving the ERC’s other programmatic staff.
The FHPM position is multifaceted, and duties will include:
- Supervising and mentoring Fair Housing Program staff in all aspects of their work, including education and outreach, victim intake and advocacy, research, investigation, testing, and enforcement.
- Designing, supervising, and conducting complaint-based and systemic investigations and testing focused on discrimination in housing.
- Designing and participating in community outreach and education programs with a focus on fair housing.
- Designing and participating in fair housing training courses provided to the ERC’s collaboration partners, and the general public.
- Developing and maintaining the ERC’s relationships with a broad array of aligned fair housing organizations, community-based organizations, housing professionals, and government agencies, as they relate to fair housing.
- Participating in the organization’s communications and outreach activities, including acting as one of the ERC’s representatives to the media with respect to fair housing, and collaborating with communications staff in the creation of written materials highlighting fair housing issues.
- Participating in the development and presentation of foundation grant proposals and other development activities on behalf of the ERC.
- Managing the ERC’s performance of fair housing-related contracts with a variety of collaboration partners, including business and industry, and governmental agencies.
- Coordinating with other ERC program areas on projects that touch on fair housing issues.
- Participating in the design and implementation of the organization’s strategic plans and budgeting.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of B.S., B.A. in related field (liberal arts, social science, law, psychology, or urban studies); graduate or professional degree a plus.
- Commitment to civil rights and social justice.
- Minimum 5-7 years’ experience in fair housing-related work, including some supervisory/management experience.
- Experience/familiarity with fair housing testing a significant plus.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in creating and managing a comprehensive strategic plan to advance organization's mission and goals.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including businesses, government agencies, and nonprofit organizational partners.
- An exceptionally high level of personal responsibility, and be equally comfortable and adept at creating and executing strategies, as well as interacting frequently with diverse audiences.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Proven ability to simultaneously work on multiple projects and meet strict deadlines.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commeasurate with experience.
Benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance; long-term disability insurance; 403(b); Metro SmartBenefits pre-tax deduction program; paid Federal holidays; vacation, personal, and sick leave.
How to Apply
E-mail cover letter and resume to:
Manager, Human Resources and Administration
Subject line: Fair Housing Program Manager
Deadline: Open until filled
The Equal Rights Center is an equal opportunity employer.